Safeguarding & Child Protection
Keeping pupils safe is a priority at SMSJ and we ensure the welfare of pupils by:
- Raising awareness of child protection issues and equipping children with the skills needed to keep themselves safe.
- Developing and implementing procedures for identifying and reporting cases of concern. This is likely to involve sharing information with outside agencies.
- Supporting individual children in accordance with any child protection plan that may be in place for them.
- e-safety – we support our pupils’ use of the Internet and seek to underpin their knowledge of safe use and how to ensure their personal details are not compromised or shared inappropriately.
- Ensuring a safe and nurturing environment free from discrimination and bullying, thus ensuring children can excel in their learning and development.
- Encouraging full attendance for which we need the full co-operation of all families and would urge parents not to take their children out of school during term time.
- Staff recruitment and selection – ensuring that all staff have been appropriately checked for their suitability through the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS), formerly the Criminal Records Bureau (CRB).
What to do if you are worried about the safety of a child
Please contact a member of our safeguarding team if you have any concerns; Mr. Atkinson, Head of Primary and Designated Safeguarding Lead; Mrs. Pittaway, Head of Secondary and Designated Safeguarding Lead and Ms. Silva, Deputy Designated Safeguarding Lead as follows:
SMSJ has several members of staff across all 3 campuses who have been fully trained regarding safeguarding matters and so if your child would prefer to speak to a particular member of staff, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading 'Safeguarding'
Our Safeguarding Governor is Mrs. Shelley Shah, Mrs. Shah can be contacted via email at email@example.com.
You can also contact Barnet Local Authority Child Protection Team directly via the MASH (Multi Agency Safeguarding Hub) on 020 8359 4066 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Barnet Safeguarding Children Partnership has lots of useful information and advice for parents/carers and children.
Please click on the links below for further advice.