St Mary’s and St John’s (SMSJ) School is a Church of England Foundation, supported by the London Diocesan Board for Schools (LDBS) and the London Borough of Barnet. In 2014, the LDBS in partnership with Barnet Local Authority expanded SMSJ into an all-through school located across three campuses.
Nursery, Reception and Years 1 to 4, are located at our Neale House Campus (NHC), Prothero Gardens. Years 5 to 8 are located at our Bennett House Campus (BHC), Sunningfields Road and Years 9 to 13, at our Stamford Raffles Campus (SRC), Downage. With Christ every day, every task, every situation, every relationship brims with divine possibility. God is always at work in our lives.
Our vision is drawn from Matthew’s gospel in which Jesus is talking to his disciples about what they must do if they hope to inherit eternal life. Here, Jesus speaks about the value of serving others in order to store up treasure in heaven. Jesus’s wisdom guides us to acknowledge that wealth is not material but that true wealth is gained from working collaboratively for the common good.
We will realise our vision by ensuring our children are at the centre of everything we do, relentlessly focusing on the development of highly literate, articulate, resilient and confident individuals. Our students will be equipped with the ambition, qualities, qualifications and values necessary to meet the challenges of an ever-changing world, knowing that God is always at work in our lives.
Our core Christian values; Wisdom, Service and Hope, define us, strengthen our relationships, and provide guiding principles that enable us live out our vision.
We strive to equip our students with the ability to make wise judgments, to grow in their understanding and awareness of the world around us and of God.
If you are wise, your wisdom will reward you; if you are a mocker, you alone will suffer.
As a community, we promote the service of others - service not self.
Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet.
I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you.
Our hope is rooted in the love and faithfulness of God. We believe that hard work, resilience and perseverance will create a hope-filled future for all our students.
Thank you very much for showing an interest in starting or furthering your career at St Mary’s & St John’s CE School. We’d love to meet you and explore the prospect of you joining us.
We very much hope that once you have had the opportunity to peruse our website you will be interested in applying to a school that offers:
- A dynamic place to work
- A diverse, ambitious and hard-working student body
- A highly skilled, professional and inspirational staff
- An aspirational community of local families
- A comfortable and well-resourced working environment
- Excellent facilities
- Excellent in-school career advancement opportunities
- Comprehensive Professional Development and training opportunities
- Staff well-being service
- Free annual flu vaccinations
- Excellent student support systems
- A programme of staff social events
- A very supportive Senior Leadership Team
- Competitive London pay scales
- The option of a school place for children of staff
- A very supportive Governing Body
- A thriving extra-curricular activities and trips programme
- On site catering facilities and outlets
- Excellent public transport links
- Local shops within walking distance
- An Ofsted rating of ‘Good’ in all 5 categories
- A SIAMS rating of ‘Outstanding’ in all areas
Our Teaching and Educational Support Staff are a pleasure to work with. They are highly skilled, professional and inspirational. Candidates visiting the school invariably comment on how welcoming and friendly they find the school during their day with us and new members of staff are well supported by their colleagues, making the transition to their new environment that much easier. A sense of family is evident throughout the school.