“The school’s work to promote pupils’ personal development, behaviour and welfare is strong. The school’s values underpin pupils’ positive attitudes to learning.” OFSTED 2017
“Pupils are proud of their school, enjoy their learning and are keen to do their very best.” OFSTED 2017
At SMSJ we have the highest expectations of our students and give them the best personalised pastoral care for their own circumstance. We believe ‘with God, all things are possible’ and catering for the individual is the best way of doing this.
We have firm belief in educating the ‘whole person’ and give students ample opportunities to have character building experiences through team-building days, trips and a wide range of external visitors.
Students see their Pastoral and Academic mentor (PAM) once-a-day for 25 minutes, during morning registration. PAMs look after students’ academic progress strategically as well as their individual needs on a daily basis. Throughout the year, every PAM will present their own assembly during collective worship and PAM groups also complete daily acts of worship.
We have a wide range of internal pastoral intervention and have extensive links with a range of outside agencies. We have a Learning Mentor- Mrs Castagano and an Engagment Officer- Mr Rahman who are on-hand to provide support to students learning on a daily basis.
We have a firm belief in rewarding excellence at Bennet House and use the following:
- Merits for excellent learning and resilience
- Reward Trips
- 'Commitment to Community' signatures in planners lead to 'C2C' Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum badges being awarded
- Student Voice Roles: Tour guide; Student Interviewer; Well-being Ambassadors; Curriculum Advisor; Prefects'; and Junior/Senior Prefects
- Half-termly Rewards Breakfast for the top Merit-holders every half-term
- Termly Pizza Party for the highest acheiving PAMS
Laurence Fox, Assistant Principal: Pastoral and Safeguarding